Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Looking back

I had to stop at the library last night to drop off some books. It was just before dark and there were some kids practicing soccer on the field behind the library. Oh did that take me back. I remember taking my kids to and picking them up from soccer practice. I remember going to their matches. I remember the years that 3 of my kids practiced on different nights of the week so every evening was rushed dinner, rushing to practice, and then rushing home to finish homework, get baths, and go to bed. Our world was spinning so fast at that point that I don't even remember being aware of the noise of soccer practice: the coaches hollering at the kids to do this, do that; the players giggling over whatever it was that little kids giggled about; and moms shouting to their sons and daughters to 'hurry up, we need to get home'. But those memories came back to me last night - snuck up like a thief to remind me of what I had back then. Those times were good and I wish I'd had more time to savor them.

No comments:

Post a Comment